Tuesday, June 3, 2008

"Thoughts from Beth Henderson"--May 26, 1980--Memorial Day

I didn’t get to my mother’s and little sister’s grave today, but I would like to pass on to my posterity a few things about my wonderful mother, Irene Callister McCullough.

I did look up to her with respect and admiration for her marvelous intellect, for her sense of humor, and her great kindness to her children, grandchildren & friends. And she did have many friends. Her children and grandchildren all loved her dearly.

I remember that three months before she died at the age of 84 she gave a book review to a group to which I was invited. She spoke for about 45-60 minutes not using a note. She had a tremendous memory and a thirst for knowledge of things of worth. She was not interested in reading trivial things.

She was a peacemaker also. My father had many good qualities but he also had a bad temper and would “blow up” often. My mother was never a “doormat” but at the same time she would never lower herself to shout or argue. I admired her for this and I’ve always wished I could be more like her.

I loved to talk to her about the gospel and the scriptures. I know of no women and very few men as well read and versed in the scriptures as she. Many, many people said this about her too. Just the other day (4 years since she died) a friend who lived in her ward told me again what a wonderful teacher she was and yet so humble despite her vast knowledge.

I remember when we were children she would take us to Yellowstone, to Long Beach. She taught us how to swim at old Warm Springs on Beck Street.

Because I lead a very busy life, I don’t often stop and think about her. When I do, I cry for I do miss her. I loved her with all my heart. What a privilege it will be some day to associate once again with my mother.

Within 6 months, two of the dearest people in my life died a painful death (cancer)-my husband and my mother. But I shall always be grateful and realize how blessed I was to have been so close to such outstanding people as they were.

From the Journal of Beth Henderson

Picture of Irene Callister McCullough and her daughter Joan McCullough born 1928

1 comment:

The Funseekers said...

Thanks for sharing all this with us Marie!
Marene Ebert